United Reformed Church

Home Your faith Developing your faith Education for Ministry Authorisation for support of Education for Ministry Phases 2 and 3

Authorisation for support of Education for Ministry Phases 2 and 3


Financial support towards Education for Ministry (phases 2 and 3) is available for:

  • Ministers of Word and Sacraments and Church Related Community Workers (CRCWs) on the United Reformed Church payroll, referred to from this point forward as ministers.
  • United Reformed Church ministers working in ecumenical posts and paid ecumenically, where the comparable Education for Ministry grant is not available.
  • United Reformed Church ministers in non-stipendiary service in appointments recognised by the synod.
  • Retired ministers in active ministry recognised by the synod.

It is recognised that there will be people who are not included in the above list.  Such people will receive grants at the discretion of the designated synod officer responsible for Education for Ministry (phases 2 and 3), in consultation with the Secretary for Education and Learning.

Ministers from other denominations who are in recognised ministry with a Local Ecumenical Partnership which contains United Reformed Church members are eligible to apply for grants at 50% of the level set for United Reformed Church ministers, provided that they have exhausted similar allowances available to them through their own denomination.

What can grants be used for?

  • The purpose of EM2/EM3 is to develop ministry through work-related practical training, educational, spiritual, and professional development, and on very rare argued occasions, specialist equipment. Grants can only be given for these purposes.
  • Every request will be subject to an ‘application to ministry’ test. Applicants must show that the learning for which they are seeking funding has a direct bearing on the ministry which they are currently exercising or which they are preparing to exercise in future.
  • Grants are unlikely to be authorised for attendance at church assemblies, general church conferences, network meetings or meetings of organisations unless there is a training element or unless it is a one-off to test if such an event would support future ministry. If the latter is the case, future attendance would be funded by either the place of ministry or the minister.

How to apply

  1. Applications should be made well before the beginning of the course or event. Retrospective applications will not necessarily be met.
  2. Applications should be made on the attached form and sent to the designated synod officer responsible for EM2/EM3.

Other sources of support

Other sources of support may be available and these should be explored as well as applying for EM2/EM3 support.  Details of such sources are available from the designated synod officer responsible for EM2/EM3.

 How are grants paid?

Grants authorised by the designated synod officer responsible for EM2/EM3 are paid by the synod in two different ways. Either a) directly upon presentation of invoices, for example a bill from a training institution or from a travel agent, or b) by reimbursement to the minister upon presentation of proof of payment relating to expenditure made. Sometimes you may not be able to get evidence, such as a receipt or invoice, for cash expenses, especially where the amounts are small.  If this happens, make a brief note as soon as you can of the amount you spent, when you spent it and what it was for.  The Revenue have agreed that receipts for expenditure will not be necessary for train travel of under £20 on any one journey or out of pocket expenses such as car parking or subsistence of under £10.

The Assembly element may then be claimed back by the synod from the Education and Learning office at Church House.

Reports and Records

Following your course, we ask you to return the R1 report form to the synod officer responsible for EM2/EM3.  If this form is not returned, you may not be eligible for a grant in the following year.


You may claim the full cost of courses, including travel and books up to £700 (£350 if you are in the Education for Ministry phase 2 period) in each calendar year.  If your course continues over more than one calendar year, or the course fee is higher than the annual claim allowance, you may be able to be registered within the Rollover Funding Scheme, which can allow you to borrow ahead or save up to three years EM2/3 funding.  Your synod EM2/3 officer will work with you to plan your funding and make your registration with the scheme.

Download the application form


United Reformed Church